Tuesday 2 February 2016

Berryz Kobo x ℃-ute Cross Talk: Natsuyaki Miyabi x Nakajima Saki

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Hello! Project Kids in 2012, a book entitled Rival - 12 shoujo no 10-nen monogatari - (The 10-year legend of the 12 girls) was released. The book contains 2-page discussions between various pairings of the girls, covering all 66 possible combinations. In the process of reading this book, I'll be putting up some highlights as I read through the interviews.


Special Crosstalk Book "RIVAL 12 shoujyo no 10 nen monogatari (10 years stories of 12 girls)" / Berrz Kobo / Cute

Natsuyaki Miyabi X Nakajima Saki

²²²

It feels like you'll have a girls meet up in 10 years time.

Nakajima: I'd like to have one! We'll definitely have to do that.

Natsuyaki: It'll be just before our thirties though (laughs)!?

Nakajima: Even if we're married, don't you think we'll have girls meetups as friends who are mothers? Like 'Wouldn't you like to have a spot of tea?' (laughs). Miyabi-chan, if you were to ask 'Are you free right now?', I feel like I'd go straight to see you.

Natsuyaki: That's likely, as it goes with Nacky's personality. You're direct.

Looking from as close as possible, the two of you hold similar positions in your group.

Nakajima: Indeed, it does seem that way.

Natsuyaki: Yup. I think so too


The theme of this discussion between the both of you is how you express yourselves in live performances and stage-plays. That is, the 2 of you are good at expressing yourselves.

Natsuyaki: Having paid attention and worked hard on it, those words make me happy. Nacky, you handle the cute songs, don't you? I think that you're good at making cute expressions.

Nakajima: I may receive praise for cute songs, but I don't get praised for cool songs (laughs). Miyabi-chan, you're pretty good at catching the rhythm. I can't mimic Miyabi-chan's dancing. It's like it's something that you've had since birth. I envy you.

Natsuyaki: Not at all (laughs). That makes me happy, but on the other hand, I can't pull off cute songs.

Nakajima: Seriously? That can't be the case.

Natsuyaki: It ends up looking like I'm just trying too hard. So I leave the cute songs to Momo, and I take a step back for those.

Nakajima: Eh, that can't be the case. Our Okai-san rates you highly, going 'Miyabi-chan's cute!' (laughs).

Natsuyaki: It's because when Chisato says that I'm cute, it's in a bit of a different sense (laughs). There are cute songs like 'Tanjunsugina no Watashi...' that sound cute when you listen to them, but singing and dancing for those doesn't really suit me. There's something there that makes me feel self-concious. There are also times when I look cute when I'm dancing as the dance itself is cute, but when it comes to singing freely, I get stumped. And so, that's why Nacky's great.

Do you have your own challenges at the moment?

Nakajima: Perhaps a lack of coolness is my issue. We're generally free to move whenever ℃-ute has solo parts, but I don't really have much in the way of cool moves in my repertoire, so I have no idea what to do.

Natsuyaki: Eh, But I think you can do cool songs just fine. Nacky's dancing is really snappy.

Nakajima: I get what you mean! Snappy, huh.

Natsuyaki: You dance in a big way, so you're easy to see, and my eyes get drawn towards Nacky. Being unable to do cute songs is a challenge for me, but maybe that isn't too bad. Whether or not that's fine (laughs), recently there's been an increase in how finely our songs are divided, so there's less dependence, so perhaps it's a part of me that's not really needed. Instead, I thought that I should pursue coolness and sexiness. Going as deep as possible into my area of speciality, I'll be able to develop myself. Rather than minimising the things I'm not good at, I'd like to strengthen the fields I'm good at.

Nakajima: So you think that way.

Natsuyaki: Captain's good at dancing, Risako's good at expressiveness, each of us has our own features. Sexiness and coolness are a component that's lacking in the other girls, so I'd like to strengthen those as my strong points. I may change my atmosphere when we have to follow the dance to a song, but when I can freely move in sexy songs, I feel like, 'Right, let's give the fans a nosebleed!'

Nakajima: Ahahahahaha. That isn't what I'm in charge of, but while thinking about the group, you definitely do want to bring out your strong points that are lacking in the other girls.

Natsuyaki: Yup. While I follow along when I have to, I don't want to present myself in the same way, and I don't want to be copied as well, so I've got to put in the hard work.

By the way, do you look back on videos of your live performances and PVs from the past.

Nakajima: We often do. Looking back at the PVs when ℃-ute had just started, we really worked hard. It's definitely embarrassing to watch videos of our lessons from back when we couldn't dance (laughs).

Natsuyaki: Compared to our dance lessons, I'm more embarrassed about our PVs from the past (laughs). Watching the videos makes me think of how cute we were and how funny we were, and watching those is like going through an album, but videos that have ended up becoming products for sale......

Nakajima: We're complete opposites. I'm fine with PVs, but I really hate videos where I'm talking (laughs). I think my voice is so high-pitched! (laughs). I hated how I used to talk in the past. On the other hand, I'm fine up until our auditions, but around middle school, it's a bit off-putting..... (laughs).

Natsuyaki: Watching that, it makes us feel like we've grown up a little, doesn't it (laughs).

No comments:

Post a Comment